Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mother Knows Best

I forgot to mention from the beginning that I won’t be making this trip alone. My dreams of traveling the world obviously did not take one very important factor into consideration: I’m absolutely terrified of going anywhere by myself. So, to solve this predicament I’ve decided to bring a buddy, and who better to take than my mother! Not only will I be able explore the country that my parents have grown up in, but my mom will be able to reconnect with of friends, family, and memories.
Her last visit to the Philippines was back in 1995, over 15 years ago. She immigrated to the US when she was only 20 years old, and since then has only been back once.
On my dad’s side of the family, his parents and all eight of his siblings have immigrated to the US over the past 40 years. However, on my mom’s side of the family, only her father has immigrated to the US. Her two other siblings reside in the Philippines.
The majority of our trip will be spent with my mom’s side of the family. Although I’ve never met them in person, we’ve stayed connected via Skype. It’s amazing how a simple-to-use software application can keep families connected from over 7,000 miles away. It will be so nice to meet them in person, and dig even deeper into uncovering my roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment